22 April 2005

Day 13

Point to Ponder: People know we love them when we show we love them.
Verse to Remember: "Little children, let us stop just saying we love people; let us really love them, and show it by our actions." 1 John 3:18 (LB)
Question to Consider: Who can you share the love of Christ with in a practical way today?
***
"Preach the gospel, if necessary, use words." ~Francis of Assisi
I love this quote, but the question is do I follow its teaching? Sometimes I just think too long and hard about things. I feel God tugging on me to offer help (in any way) to the person asking for money on the street corner, and I avoid eye contact. Sometimes I just feel like I am too busy judging them, wondering if they really need the money; are they just going to buy drugs and alcohol? Well it is not my job to judge. But I should be serving.
Question to Consider: I will offer support to the next homeless person I see.
Lord, use me, guide me and don't let me falter! Amen.

1 comment:

Will Dykstra said...

I used to wonder about that as well. Many people give money, and I don't think that is the right thing to do. I used to do a little work with homeless people in Toronto and I have found a good way to handle the situation is to give them food, or something else that they really need, but wouldn't spend your money on if they had an addiction. So you could carry an apple or a sandwich and try that instead.